Saturday, July 28, 2012

I have a dream!

My three cages
Caged from both the outside and within, the faces of the crowd, gather, stare, and grin, to watch me struggle, cry, and fight throughout both the day and into the starless night.

Sleep deprived, I weep until the mercy of rest has at last arrived, taking me into a dreamless sleep, caging me yet again which now makes it three.

Being awoken by piece of fruit thrown at my face, I still lay in my cage and stare back into the starless space.  “What a fool!” a child from the crowd yells, rallying others to cast me down into hell.

The cage I rest in is lifted up and thrown to the ground and miraculously so is the one over my heart, giving the strength the triumphantly sound.  “I will not be broken or destroyed.  I am no fool nor a man with whom will be toyed!” 

I bend the bars of the cage of the outside and storm towards the crowd, causing them to fear me and hide.  All have scattered except for the rallying child.  He just has an expression that is shockingly meek and mild.

With two cages destroyed, the one that guards the third is this little boy.  He awoke me from my dreamless sleep, reminding me that it is my dreams that he does keep.

Although he appears meek and mild, he is the devil’s boy and child who will cage, destroy, and crucify any that oppose and attempt to dream and fly.

No longer will he stand there.  No longer will he guard my dreams, for they are meant for me, myself, and only me.  With a raise of my fist, he shutters and backs away, lightening my night and brightening this epic day.

He throws the key of my dreams at my right foot, knowing that he lost his fight and the victory I took.  A simple thing is all we need, to stand courageous and be ready to do the deed.

I turn around to walk my victorious walk when I am hit to the ground, putting me to a sudden stop.  I am face down with the devil’s boy on my back and one by one, the bodies of the crowd on top of me he does stack.

I struggle and fight with useless might and the day around me again darkens into the night.  The cackle of the boy is dark and dim as the cage over my heart is again placed within.

“I told you that he was a fool.  He is one who thought with me he could duel.  His victorious moment was short and brief and now forever will he live within sorrow and grief.”

The devil’s boy then places me back into the second cage, all the while, his eyes filled with malice and rage.  He reaches for the key of my dreams, but as he touches it, his hand burns and his voice curses and screams.

I can’t help but chuckle at this sight.  Although I am caged, I still have some fight.  “My dreams are mine and mine alone.” I say, and as I do, the night quickly turns back into the day.

Grabbing my key and opening the cage, I step outside to smother his rage.  The one within falls yet again, this time allowing me to be the one who grins.

“Fine!”  The devil’s child speaks.  “I’ll just find another who is feeble and oh so weak.”  He turns to the crowd and finds his next victim, places them into a cage and starts the process over again.

-Mikey D. B.-

 

            John Mayer once said that “bad news never had good timing” (John Mayer, “The Heart of Life”).  Now I don’t care how reputable he is for getting high or drunk before every concert or if he strips down naked for inspiration of his latest album, truth is truth no matter who says it.  Bad news does not necessarily mean tragic, but rather it could mean unplanned or unexpected.  Many good things can come from an unexpected situation that, on the surface, can appear as a sliver of wood in our foot.  In fact, it is rare to find convenience in a cause that is just and admirable because of the opposition that will inevitably oppose it.  It is almost comical how much we fret over the lack of good timing in our lives.  Because of this, the lack of convenience and good timing, all too often we hold ourselves back.  We cripple ourselves from a fear of the unknown and the things no one has ever tried because of doubt, and frankly a lack of imagination.

            Don’t get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with being patient for the right time.  Some things, only time can heal and a good idea can be obliterated with a hot-headed, little man syndrome induced individual.  However, do we use patience as a crutch?  I feel that at times we have a distorted and poor definition of what it truly is.  “Patience is not passive resignation, nor is it failing to act because of our fears. Patience means active waiting and enduring. It means staying with something and doing all that we can—working, hoping, and exercising faith; bearing hardship with fortitude, even when the desires of our hearts are delayed. Patience is not simply enduring; it is enduring well!” (President Dieter F. Uchtdorf “Continue in Patience” General Conference April 2010).

            There is nothing wrong with making a stand.  Yes, don’t be so stubborn that you won’t admit it when you have made a mistake, but when you know something to be true and divine, believe it.  Follow it.  Live it.  Don’t let others determine what your dreams are and if they try to, make a stand.  Don’t stand idly by, waiting for the perfect time to arrive for you to act.  Risk something, take back what's yours.  Say something that you know they might attack you for” (Linkin Park “Hands Held High”).  Make a difference and do it now for the time we have is but a limited amount.  Open your eyes to the world that we live in.  We all see it, the cruelty and sorrow that evil brings and what are we doing about it?  I can only echo what Martin Luther King Jr. said concerning the time that has been given to us.  Time itself is neutral; it can be used either destructively or constructively. More and more I feel that the people of ill will have used time much more effectively than have the people of good will. We will have to repent in this generation not merely for the hateful words and actions of the bad people but for the appalling silence of the good people. Human progress never rolls in on wheels of inevitability; it comes through the tireless efforts of men willing to be co workers with God, and without this hard work, time itself becomes an ally of the forces of social stagnation. We must use time creatively, in the knowledge that the time is always ripe to do right. Now is the time to make real the promise of democracy and transform our pending national elegy into a creative psalm of brotherhood” (A letter from Birmingham Jail).

            Pioneers and revolutionaries have given us the freedoms we have and enjoy and unless we use our time wisely, we are merely spitting on the graves of these honorable ancestors of ours.  Honor those who have sacrificed much, even unto death, by doing something with our lives.  By making something of ourselves, we show gratitude and appreciation that we are aware of them and the righteous deeds they have performed, not for glory and honor, but for us, their future posterity.  We have an obligation to put a stop to corruption and malicious actions if we see them.  If we don’t, evil will find its next victim, placing them into a cage and starting the process all over again.  Let us make a difference in action and with the werds we say.

No comments:

Post a Comment